Friday, August 28, 2015

Lizards, mosquitoes, roaches, and rats

         This week was another quiet yet crazy week. Although we did have some visitors in the mission house this week. They were very unwelcome but they came anyways.We have had, some lizards, roaches, a gazillion mosquitoes and 4 dead rats. I knew there were lots of lizards and mosquitoes here but this past week has felt like more than normal. Maybe it's because the lizards eat the Mosquitos. This past weekend I found the first lizard in my room on the wall. Supposedly these lizards won't hurt you or bother you but I didn't want to take a chance of it climbing in my bed and cuddling up next to me while I was sleeping. So I decided to get the broom and try to shoo it out of my room. Of coarse it didn't go out but it just hid behind something where I couldn't get to it. So after about an hour of trying, I gave up and hoped it wouldn't come out of it's hiding spot. Thankfully I never saw it again. And as for the mosquitoes, these are not just any mosquitoes. These are very fierce and fast little boogers that will give you chikungunya. Something that I do not ever want in my lifetime. The roaches have been everywhere. But thanks to our wonderful housekeeper the cleanliness helps keep them away. Last but not least, the rats. We had smelt the most awful stench coming from the kitchen area. We had no idea what it was or where it was coming from, and then I saw it, a live rat! Then I knew what the awful smell was, it was a dead one. Finally after the help of a friend we found the dead one. After getting about 7 traps and some poison, we are up to 4 dead rats, thanks to the traps. Hopefully that is the last of them.
         On a different note, we were able to spend more time at the orphanages this week. We also got to help with a big event in one of the communities around here. We had a blast making popcorn, snow cones, painting faces, listening to a bible study, and watching an awesome drama. We also had the privilege of helping with another medical campaign this week. There were so many people getting different medicines and seeing different doctors. Of course we had our popcorn and snow cone machines for this event as well. The people here love popcorn and snow cones and will stand in line for an hour to get some if they have too. There was one little boy at the end of the day that didn't get any popcorn because we were out and it was time for us to go. He was so upset that he was crying and his mom kept telling him, "there is no more, they are all out" but the little boy wouldn't stop crying. So the mom came back to us and said, "is there any way you could just give him all the little pieces that you are going to throw away and all the half popped ones." So we decided to give him all the left overs, He was still upset that he didn't get a whole bag but was a little better knowing that he could have a little taste of it. Oh how I feel like I take so much for granted, even a small bag of popcorn.



No comments:

Post a Comment