Friday, August 14, 2015

the calm after the storm

It has been 6 weeks in now but this week was very different. This was the first week that there wasn't a group here. Getting used to having 20-30 people around for 5 weeks makes it very different to go to only a few people in the house that I am staying. It makes for a very quiet time. Although there are no groups here to go to each orphanage, Sus Hijos (His Children), which is the organization I am here working with, still goes and does their regular schedule every week. So this week, On Saturday when the last group left, a lot of us were able to go to one of the translators parents house and visit for her nephews 1st birthday. We had a lot of fun and was able to relax a little. I got to do something special while we were there. We all went down to the creek to swim but I decided to sit on a rock and watch. While I was sitting there, this lady came up to the creek with all of her laundry and started washing it in the creek. I got very interested in what she was doing and asked her if I could help and she told me I could help her! So I was able to help this lady wash her clothes in the creek. It  was definitely different and I actually enjoyed it but I think I will keep my washer and dryer when I get home. On Monday we went to Cipi and did Bible and English class with the kids that came to class. Unlike in the states, the kids are not required to attend school. So basically if they don't want to come that day, then they don't have too. On Tuesday, we went to visit the babies all day. These are some of the cutest babies but even though I might think it can be easy to feed or play with babies all day, it definitely can be very difficult. Trying to feed a 7 or 8 month old baby who is not in a high chair, doesn't want to eat, and tries to slap the bowl out of your hand makes for a very hard time. But all the Tias (aunts), which are the caregivers of all the children, know exactly how to feed, change, and take care of each child or baby to where it is not as difficult for them. But it is very hard for us Gringos who don't know what in the world we are doing. On Wednesday, we went to a different orphanage and did Bible class for a group of kids in a program called Cambia tu vida (change your life). Cambia tu vida is a program that is geared toward kids who were sexually abused in some way. The is a school for them but they encourage a lot of healing and building relationships. On Thursday, we went to the juvenile girls prison and did the bible study with those girls. All of the girls in this prison are under 18 or if they are over 18, they were sent their before 18 and are now just finishing out their sentence. Most or all of these girls are associated with gang members in some way. Most or all of them are there for something that they did that was associated with a gang. In El Salvador, there are many gangs but there are two main ones and the girls in the prison are all associated with one of the two main gangs. But in the prison, they have to keep the girls associated with one gang separated from the girls associated with the other gang. Friday was some what a free day. Although I didn't go to any orphanage, I stayed at the mission house and organized some of the garage. So it still made for a very productive day.








No comments:

Post a Comment